Homemade Tomato Sauce
tomatoes - 2kg
peeled and sliced garlic - 30g
diced carrot - 200g
diced celery - 200g
diced white onion - 200g
bay leaf - 2no
fresh basil - 2 stalks
water - 200ml
1. Using a sharp knife, cut a shallow X on the bottom of the tomatoes. Bring a pot of water to boil, and drop tomatoes in for 45 seconds, removing when the skin of the tomatoes start to curl up slightly. Cool the tomatoes in an ice bath, and remove the skins completely.
2. In a big pot, sauté carrots, onion and celery in a bit of oil till fragrant and translucent, about 10-15 minutes.
3. Add in garlic slices and sauté for 1 minute.
4. Add in peeled tomatoes and water, breaking the tomatoes up with your spatula as you go. Let it cook for 20 minutes.
5. Remove from heat, using a immersion stick blender, purée the mixture till smooth.
6. Return pot to heat, add in bay leaf and the whole stocks of basil, and allow mixture to cook for another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
7. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. This sauce can be used for pasta, braising meats or cooking seafood.
By Chef WeiMing IG@weiprivatekitchen